Olivia Perry of St. James All Grade school was selected and attended the “Forum for Young Canadians” in Ottawa, March 2016Posted on Apr 29, 2016
Olivia Perry of St. James All Grade school was selected and attended the “Forum for Young Canadians” in Ottawa, March 2016
Olivia Perry, a grade 11 student of St. James All Grade school was selected and attended the Forum for Young Canadians that took place March 6 – 11, 2016 at Parliament in our nation’s capital, Ottawa, Ontario. She was honored to be chosen by her school and the Forum selection committee to attend the Forum. The Forum for Young Canadians is recognized as Canada’s premier youth educational program to learn about Canadian systems of government, leadership and citizenship.
Since 1975, Forum for Young Canadians has devoted itself to fostering leadership skills in young Canadians, demystifying the political process, and helping students get their voices heard. Participants met the nation’s leaders, interacted with decision makers, and debated contemporary issues. They had the special privilege of sitting in both the House of Commons and Senate, with the Speakers of both chambers. Participants watched Question Period from the Visitors' Gallery and later made those experiences come alive through numerous simulations. Public speaking skills were also developed during this program. Olivia spoke on behalf of the Atlantic Provinces to the group of 120 students and alumni, playing the role of 'premier', and making negotiations with other 'premiers'. It was an intensive, academic adventure, immersing Oliva in the exciting world of national politics and public affairs.
Olivia is currently taking Advanced Math 2200, Physics 3204, and Chemistry 2202 through CDLI this year.
CDLI and St. James All Grade would like to congratulate Olivia on her opportunity and accomplishments!
A little more about Olivia:
- Certified lifeguard and swimming instructor
- Poetry in Voice English Stream National Champion 2015 Montreal - competed against 40,000 high school and CEGEP students from across the country in recitation competition
- Inter-School Speak Off winner- two years in a row
- St James All Grade Junior High Student of the Year 2014
- St James All Grade Senior High Student of the Year 2015
- Highest scoring student in Western Region in Pascal math contest
- Completion of Beyond the Hurt bullying prevention course, and Students Working Against Tobacco workshop
- Attended MedQuest program at MUN
- Emcee at the St James All Grade Annual Christmas Concert for the past three years, as well as narrated St James Church's Christmas Pageant
- Volunteer Sunday school teacher at local church
- Member of school volleyball team for past 5 years
- Attends modern and jazz style dance classes, participating in recitals biannually
- Passion for travelling - 15 countries and counting!