The Waverley Soldiers' Memorial was unveiled on October 5th, 1920, in honour of soldiers from Medonte, Tay, Flos and Tiny who fell in the Great War. The Memorial was donated by The Patriotic Ladies of Waverley in 1920 and designed and manufactured by R.J. Sanderson Marble Co., Peter-Street, Orillia.
This Memorial, as well as the date of October 5th, holds special
significance for Mr. Ellwood McLaughlin of Orillia, Ontario, and his wife Vera. The
couple met on October 5th, 1941, while attending a service at the Waverley
Soldiers' Memorial. Five years later, on October 5th, 1946, the two were
married. On October 5th, 1996, Mr. and Mrs. McLaughlin celebrated their
50th wedding anniversary. Each year, the couple return to the Waverley
Soldiers' Memorial to pay their respects to those fallen.
Mr. McLaughlin also served in the 5th Division from 1941-1946. Along with the information he sent regarding the Memorial, Mr. McLaughlin also sent a poem written by Captain George Beer, 25th Battalion, of WWI. The poem reads: