The 48th Highlanders Monument, Queens Park

Toronto, Ontario

Constructed in 1923, in memory of the Officers and men of the 48th Highlanders who gave their lives in two World Wars.

The 48th Highlanders' Monument is a dignified and beautiful monument on the north side of Queen's Park facing north on the road. This has been erected "to the glorious memory of those who died and to the undying honour of those who served" by "their regiment." The years of commemoration are indicated on the north side of the monument as 1914 - 1916. On each side of the granite pillar, set on an elevated base of six steps, is the regimental crest surmounted on the face of the monument by a sheathed sword carved in the stone. On one side, the crest bears the words "15th Canadian Battalion", on the east side - "134 Overseas", and, on the west side - "92 Canada Overseas". The names of the battles from the First War in which the regiment took its full part and in which 61 officers and 1,406 non-commissioned officers gave their lives are carved in the stone - Hill 70, Passchendaele, Amiens, Drocourt-Queant, Canal Du Nord, Ypres, Festubert, Mount Sorrel, Somme and Vimy. The designer of this beautiful monument, surmounted by the Christian Cross of Sacrifice carved in each of the four sides, was the late Captain (then Brigadier) E. W. Haldenby, C.B.E., M. C., V. D. It was erected in the summer of 1923 and was unveiled by His Excellency, Lord Byng, Govenor-General of Canada at the Armistice-Remembrance Parade of the Regiment in November of that year. A further ten Battle Honours were added after the Second War to honour the 351 dead from that conflict.

Back Main Menu