During the first World War, a committee headed by Lord Beaverbrook commissioned a vast collection of
documentary art to commemorate Canada's participation in the war. Given as a gift to Canada in 1920, the
War Memorial collection includes the marble relief entitled "The Canadian Phalanx" by the
Ivan Mestrovic. It is located under the Memorial Arch that links the East and West Memorial Buildings at
Street. The granite architecture frame in which it was set was designed by D.A. Topolski in 1972.
Information provided by the City of Ottawa Archives