Stellarton, Nova Scotia
Stellarton Memorial Rink was built in 1947 as a living memorial to the fallen ones of WWI and WWII, and it was first
available for children to skate on December 29th, 1947. The original plaque was installed by Kiwanis, and listed the names
of those fallen. A new plaque listing the names was unveiled on September 28th, 1997.
The plaque is forty feet long, weighs 1,900 pounds, and contains 117 names. The inscription underneath reads: "IN
LOVING MEMORY OF STELLARTON'S BRAVE YOUNG MEN WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE FOR THE CAUSE OF FREEDOM". Four smaller
plaques naming veterans who were decorated during the World Wars will also be hung throughout the rink, as well as a
fifth plaque which will outline the history.