Main Street, Canso, Nova Scotia
The Cenotaph is 17 feet high. Constructed in 1925, in memory of all those who served their country in all wars including the 1950-1953 Korean Campaign, their memory will live on. Especially the residents of Canso and Hazel, Guysborough County.
The text below was taken the book Historic Canso ("Issued Under the Auspices of The Town Council of Canso and the Canso Board of Trade"). Published 1928, in honour of "the erection of a Cairn and Tables by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada" on July 2, 1928.
"1925. The unveiling of the 'War Memorial,' erected by the I.O.D.E. in
memory of the boys from Canso and Hazel Hill who lost their lives in the
Great War, took place on Sept. 7th. The day was beautifully fine and a
great concourse of people gathered from all parts of the county. A
procession was formed at the Hesperus Hall and, led by a brass band,
officers and sailors from the C. G. S. Patriot, war veterans, boy scouts and
school children, marched to the memorial grounds (donated by the late E. C.
Whitman) where, near the platform, an enclosure was provided with seats for
the wives and mothers of the fallen heroes. The Choir and people sang the
hymn: 'O God Our Help in Ages Past.' Mrs. Emma Swaine, who lost three sons
in the war, performed the unveiling ceremony. 'Last Post' was sounded and
the school children sang 'O Canada.' Mayor H. F. Robinson was Chairman, and
the following speakers addressed the assembly: Bishop MacDonald, H. A.
Rice, M. P. P., S. O. Giffin, M. P. P., Hon. E, M. MacDonald, Minister of
National Defence, Colin F. McIsaac, Federal Member for the Constituency, and
John A. Morrison, Warden."
"This monument is 17 feet 6 inches high, and bears the following inscription:"
'To the Glory of God, and in loving memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice in the Word War, 1914-1918.'
'Louis Dort, Vernon Earl, E. Roy Greencorn, Lee Martin Hart, Arthur S. Horton, James B. Keating, Percy J. Lumsden, James Arthur Manuel[,] James E. O'Brien, Charles Kingston O'Donoghue, John Scott Rhynold, John A. Rhynold, J. William Swaine, Thomas Sullivan, Harold E. Barss, Howard Fogarty, Percy Feltmate, Harry Barss, Joseph McIsaac, Winfield Nickerson, Arthur E. Swaine, Benjamin W. Swaine, Roland J. Swaine.'
"Their names liveth forevermore. Erected by the Joseph Howe Chapter O. O. D. E., 1925."