|Middleton, Nova Scotia
Constructed in 1916.
The first hospital in Middleton was established in a house in Lower Middleton in 1916. In 1917, larger
facilities were required so the J. D. Mackenzie property on Main Street was acquired. This new facility was operated by
Mrs. A. J. Banks. In 1920, the hospital was relocated to 22 Bridge Street and was operated by Miss Jessie
Woodbury, R. N., of Kingston, Nova Scotia.
It was soon realized that this hospital would be too small to provide the services needed and a movement was
started by Dr. J. A. Sponagle, of Middleton, Nova Scotia, to secure larger and better facilities. Various
groups were approached and, finally, the local War Veterans' Association consented to sponsor the new
hospital. Dr. L. R. Morse of Lawrencetown was appointed Chairman of the project.
In 1921, the F. E. Cox residence on Commercial Street was purchased, moved to Gates Avenue, and converted into
a hospital. The first Soldiers' Memorial Hospital became a corporate body under the laws of the province of
Nova Scotia. The Hospitals' Board of Management was formed to direct the overall planning and operations
of the hospital.
Funds for the new hospital were received from local organizations, private donations and other sources.
The Imperial Order of Daughters of the Empire (I.O.D.E.) undertook the supply of equipment for the operating room and
maintained it over the years.
Prior to the establishment of a Hospital Auxiliary, the Women's Institute provided a great service to the
institution. They provided all the kitchen equipment and linens and were the original group to start the
annual Hospital Donation Day. On this day, a door-to-door canvass was made of the surrounding countryside,
and donations of all kinds were received.
Following the support of these two groups, local organizations and communities undertook to equip and
maintain the patient rooms as their hospital projects, thus enabling the Board to provide the very best in
hospital facilities at that time.
The workload of the hospital gradually increased over the years to the point where more space was needed.
In 1936, a committee comprised of Dr. Braine, Annapolis, Dr. O. R. Stone, Bridgetown, and Dr. L. R. Morse recommended
an addition to the total number of beds at Soldiers' Memorial Hospital to 27.
In 1946, the need for expansion was again experienced and it was decided to work towards the erection of a completely
new and modern hospital. The present hospital site, at the east end of the town, was purchased in that year from
Mrs. B. B. Gwillam. With the advent of a Provincial Hospitalization Program and the opportunity to receive Federal
and Provincial Construction Grants, construction of the new hospital began in 1960 and the hospital was officially
opened in August 1961.
This new hospital contained 69 beds with provision for expansion to 99 beds. It was the first hospital built under
the Provincial Hospitalization Program and, when completely equipped, cost $1,250,000. The expansion to 99 beds was
carried out in 1967 at a further cost of $150,000.
With this addition, the out-patient department was improved, the business office, medical records, physiotherapy,
maternity, and mental health offices were relocated and additional space was added for the regional laboratory. The former
maternity floor was then renovated to house 22 beds for Veterans' Affairs of Canada patients. The first patients
were admitted March 19, 1984.
A new Veterans' Affairs of Canada wing was built in 1986 and now houses 25 long-term beds for Veterans.
Several hospital departments, including the Occupational Therapy and Inservice Departments, along with the local offices
of Public Health and the V.O.N., are also located in this building.
Presently, the hospital has the capacity for 113 beds, and serves a catchment population of 24,200.