|Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
In May of 1994, four Monuments, each with similar inscriptions, were placed at Lunenburg, Chester, Liverpool and on the grounds of what was known as "Camp Norway" in Lunenburg.
In 1940-41 Norwegian whaler/catchers, sealing vessels and
their crews ended up, eventually, in a port "somewhere on the east coast of Canada" (Lunenburg) when Norway was occupied by the Germans. Well over 1000 Norwegians were trained at Camp Norway and many of their vessels were converted into armed freighters and naval vessels.
The Monument is constructed of rough white granite. It
stands ten feet high, the granite used is from Eide in Nordmore, Norway, and has the inscription in Norwegian on the south side and English on the north side.
The inscription reads:
IN MEMORY OF
ALL THE NORWEGIANS
AFTER THE INVASION
OF NORWAY AND TRAINED
AT "CAMP NORWAY"
FOR SERVICE IN
OF THEIR HOMELAND
ALT FOR NORGE