|Liverpool, Nova Scotia
The Liverpool Monument is located on Main Street in Queens Country, Nova Scotia, on the
South Shore area. It is placed on the lawn in front of the former Town Hall, which is at
the center of the Town's Business Center.
The monument is surmounted by the figure of a Canadian Soldier of World War 1914 - 1918
in full uniform. He is standing astride of what appears to be some battlefield debris.
He is holding in his left hand a Lee Enfield rifle, an actual 303 caliber. His right arm
is extended upwards and he is holding a steal helmet, his legs below the knees are
wrapped in puttees. He is fitted with a body harness which is attached to ammunition
pouches. A water canteen is slung over his shoulder and rests on his right hip. A waist
belt supports a bayonet and scabbard at his left hip.
Four large plaques of similar design are secured to the pedestal, or body, on each of the
four sides. Each are of the same dimensions and shape: a beaver and a Maple Leaf
enlarged from the central top. The years 1914 - 1918 and 1939 - 1945 are at each top
corner. Rosettes at each four corners are prominent and two upright leafed stalks, left
and right, balance the plaque design.
Inscribed on the front plaque are the words of dedication:
THE CITIZENS OF QUEENS COUNTRY TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF THEIR SONS
WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE IN THE WORLD WAR
The names of the soldiers who died during the World War 1914 - 1918 are listed on the
left and right side plaque, with 84 in total. A back panel lists the names of 54
soldiers who perished during the 1939 - 1945 War. Below this plaque is a smaller one
listing the fatalities of the Korean War in 1950.
Positioned to the rear of the monument is a metal flag pole used to fly the Canadian
Flag. The building in the background of the photos above was the former Town Hall. It is now
occupied as the Museum of Photography and Art Galleries. This established is operated by
Mr. Roger Savage, a noted Nova Scotia artist.
The monument was erected and paid for through public subscription in 1921. At that time
the cost was $6000.00. It is constructed of dark grey granite. During the early 1990's
the monument was renovated at double the original cost.