|Red Deer, Alberta
From 1941 to 1945, the A-20 Camp Site was home to thousands of Trainees. It was one of two advanced Training Centres in Canada for Service Corps. After receiving basic training at other centres around the Country, young Servicemen would come to Red Deer to learn skills related to supply and transport, such as driving and repairing army vehicles, reading maps, defending against gas attacks and even using guns. The Cairn is a result of efforts by retired Captain Alex Campbell of Toronto.
The inscription on the Cairn reads:
ROYAL CANADIAN ARMY
WAS LOCATED ON THIS SITE
RED DEER. ALBERTA
DEDICATED TO ALL THOSE WHO TRAINED
AND SERVED AT THIS MILITARY CAMP
AND TO COMMEMORATE THE 100TH
ANNIVERSARY OF THE CORPS 1901-2001
The A-20 Advanced Training Centre as it appeared in 1948. The two larger buildings in the foreground are now the Memorial Centre and a maintenance building. The rack in the foreground to the right would become the earliest portions of Lindsay Thurber Comprehensive High School. The military quarters behind the Memorial Centre would later become River Glen School, and Camille J. Lerouge would be built on the lighter-coloured field.